Looking for a 7 day Scotland itinerary from Glasgow? I’m here to help. This 7 day Scotland road trip takes you around the main attractions in Scotland including Loch Ness and the Isle of Skye. With where to stay at each stop and tips on driving distances, here is how to plan your perfect self-drive 7 day Scotland tour with my guide.
A 7 day Scotland itinerary from Glasgow
This post uses affiliate links.
Day 1: Glasgow to Loch Lomond and Glencoe
Total driving time 2.5 hours (without traffic and stops)
- Depart on your 7 day Scotland itinerary from Glasgow by heading north towards Loch Lomond, where you can take a walk along the shores of this famous loch. My favourite places to stop at Loch Lomond are Duck Bay, Luss, Firkin Point, Tarbert and Inveruglas. Read more: how to visit Loch Lomond.
- Continue your journey through Glencoe, known for its dramatic mountain scenery. Take a short walk to the gorgeous Glencoe Lochan or visit the Glencoe Visitor Centre to learn about the area’s history. Make sure you take a photo of the wee white house under the mighty Buachaille Etive Mòr.
- Stay overnight in or near Glencoe.
Places to stay near Glencoe
Day 2 and day 3 – Glencoe to Isle of Skye
Total driving time 3 hours without stops.
- On day 2 of your 7 day Scotland itinerary from Glasgow, drive from Glencoe to the stunning Isle of Skye. Enjoy the scenic drive (a detour to the Ratagan Pass viewpoint is worth the detour) and stop at Eilean Donan Castle for a photo opportunity.
- Explore the iconic landscapes of Skye, including the Old Man of Storr, the Quiraing, and the Fairy Pools, Coral Beach, Fairy Glen and Neist Point Lighthouse. Plan your trip with my guide to the Isle of Skye.
- Stay for 2 nights on the Isle of Skye.
Places to stay on the Isle of Skye
- With its bars, restaurants, shops and hotels, Portree is a great place to base yourself to explore Skye, book into the trendy Marmalade or the Bosville Hotel or the classic accommodation at The Portree Hotel. The Cuillin Hills Hotel has incredible views over Portree Bay.
- If you are looking for luxury accommodation on the Isle of Skye, try the Three Chimneys and The House Over By, Kinloch Lodge and restaurant on the Sleat Peninsula, or Edinbane Lodge.
- Try the Sligachan Hotel with its whisky bar sitting under the Cuillin.
- Bed and breakfast on the Isle of Skye at the stunning Mint Croft
- Looking for a hostel on the Isle of Skye? Have a look at Portree Independent Hostel and Portree Hostel, Skye Backpackers, Kyleakin and Saucy Mary’s Hostel, Kyleakin.
- Go glamping at the Glenview Pods, the Skye Cabins, or the Skeabost View Pods. Down on the Sleat Peninsula are the Skye Yurts. The Little Skye Bothy is a cute Isle of Skye pod near Broadford.
Day 4 – Isle of Skye to Inverness
Total driving time – 2 hours 45 minutes.
- On day four of your 7 day Scotland itinerary from Glasgow drive across Skye to the mainland and continue to Inverness, the capital of the Highlands.
- Take a walk along the River Ness or explore the city’s historic sites, such as Inverness Castle and St. Andrews Cathedral.
- Stay overnight in Inverness.
Places to stay in Inverness
- The Whitebridge Hotel – lovely friendly hotel on the south side of Loch Ness – dog friendly with great food
- Daviot Lodge – luxury bed and breakfast accommodation in 80 acres of grounds
- Daviot Lodge Luxury Pods – cosy glamping pods with a fantastic view
- Bazpackers Hostel – quirky backpacker’s hostel in Inverness
- Kingsmill Hotel, Inverness – luxury spa hotel in Inverness
- Rocpool Reserve, Inverness – luxury hotel with well regarded restaurant
- Ness Walk, Inverness – newly opened 5 star hotel on the river
Day 5: Isle of Inverness to Loch Ness and Fort William
Total driving time 1 hour 45 minutes
- Day five of your 7 day Scotland itinerary from Glasgow drive to Loch Ness and enjoy the scenic views along the way. Consider taking a boat trip on Loch Ness to search for the legendary Loch Ness Monster. Plan your trip to Loch Ness.
- Continue to Fort William, situated near Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK. If you’re up for a challenge, consider climbing up Ben Nevis, the walk is 11 miles and will take 5-8 hours. More things to do in Fort William.
- Stay overnight in or near Fort William.
Places to stay in Fort William
Day 6: Fort William to Oban
Total driving time – 1 hour 15 minutes
- Drive to the pretty coastal town of Oban, known as the “Gateway to the Isles.”
- Enjoy a walk along the waterfront and explore the town’s attractions, including McCaig’s Tower and Oban Distillery – discover more things to do in Oban and Argyll.
- Stay overnight in Oban.
Where to stay near Oban
- Inverlonan Bothies – off grid, luxury bothies near Oban
- Portavadie Hotel and Spa – a marina and spa hotel with the best pool in Scotland
- The Isle of Eriska Hotel – a luxury hotel and spa on its own private island
- The Loch Melfort Hotel – lovely boutique hotel south of Oban with great food and dog friendly rooms
- King’s Reach B&B in Kilmartin Glen! I could not ask for more!
- Winterton Guest House– a foodie delight with roll top baths
- The Steading at Barmore – self catering with lovely gardens
- Kirnan House – B&B in sits in 500 acres of woodland
- Lochside Log Cabin on Loch Awe has an outdoor hot tub right on the water and accepts dogs
Day 7: Oban to Glasgow
Total driving time – 2 hours 30 minutes
- Take a slow drive back to Glasgow, enjoying the scenic views along the way.
- In Glasgow, explore the city’s vibrant culture, visit museums, or take a walk in the beautiful Kelvingrove Park. Read more – things to do in Glasgow.
This 7 day Scotland itinerary from Glasgow provides a mix of some of Scotland’s most stunning landscapes, pretty walks, and iconic Scottish views – so get planning your trip!
Love from Scotland x
I’m Kate – a travel writer and photographer living in Scotland. Love, From Scotland is the Scotland travel guide that shows you where to stay and how to get outside in Scotland.