So you want to stay in a castle in Scotland? Many of Scotland’s historic castles have been transformed into luxurious hotels and self catering accommodation while retaining their baronial or mediaeval castle charm. Scotland is one of the best places to stay in a castle in the UK, so here are my favourite places to stay in a castle in Scotland.
This post contains affiliate links
Edinburgh Castle Hotels
You might not be able to stay in Edinburgh castle, but you can still get a taste of staying in a medieval castle when you visit Edinburgh. Here are the best castles to stay in Edinburgh:
- Dalhousie Castle – a luxury castle hotel near Edinburgh, Dalhousie Castle is a 13th-century fortress with elegant rooms, fine dining in two restaurants and it even even an aqueous spa.
- Fa’side Castle in Musselburgh – historic bed and breakfast accommodation in 14th-century castle on the lovely Faside Estate near Edinburgh.
- Melville Castle – a 4 star castle hotel near Edinburgh, Melville Castle has 33 unique bedrooms and suites.
Stay in a castle in Scotland – Loch Lomond and Glasgow castle hotels
Castle stays Perthshire and Clackmannanshire
- Fonab Castle at Pitlochry – this contemporary castle hotel boasts luxurious rooms and overlooks the picturesque Loch Faskally.
- Dalmunzie Castle Hotel, Blairgowrie – on the edge of the Cairngorms National Park, this castle hotel in Scotland dates back to 1510.
- Dollarbeg Castle, Dollar – stay in this gorgeous three bedroom apartment in Dollarbeg Castle in Dollar, one of Scotland’s prettiest villages.
Castles to stay in the Scottish Borders, Ayrshire and D&G
The south of Scotland is chock full of castles to stay in, here are a few of my favourites:
- Neidpath Castle – complete with a four poster bed, roaring fires, a roll top bath and all the modern comforts -and the best bit is you get the whole of this 12th century ancient castle, including the ramparts all to yourself! Check in to Queen Mary’s Chamber at Neidpath Castle for the night.
- Barns Tower – looking for family castle accommodation? Barns Castle is owned by the Neidpath family and also located near Peebles sleeps up to four guests.
- Cringletie House – a beautiful country house hotel dating from 1861, Cringletie House is set in 28 acres of gardens and has 4 Gold Stars.
- Glenapp Castle – dating back to 1850, Glenapp is a five star castle hotel in Ayrshire.
- Shieldhill Castle – a 12th century castle near Bigger, Shieldhill has luxurious rooms and suites, a restaurant and lovely grounds.
- Cornhill Castle, Biggar – a fully restored and luxurious castle near Bigger.
- Buittle Castle, Castle Douglas – an 850 year old castle near Castle Douglas, Buittle Castle offers exclusive use and two B&B rooms – The Lady Maxwell Room, The Munches Room, and Exclusive Use.
- Thirlestane Castle Apartments, Lauder – a magnificent 16th century castle, Thirlestane offers up a number of castle apartments in the Scottish Borders. Book The Sculleries, Glenburnie, The Lauderdale, The Maitland and The Earl & Countess suites.
Stay in a castle in Scotland – the Highlands
- Inverlochy Castle, Fort William – in the Scottish Highlands, the award winning 19th century Inverlochy Castle Hotel offers opulent rooms and a castle restaurant.
- Mingary Castle on the Ardnamurchan peninsula is a restaurant with rooms in a 700 year old tower house.
- Glengarry castle hotel – sitting on the shores of lovely Loch Oich, Glengarry Castle is 7 miles from Loch Ness and has roaring fires and four poster beds.
- Kincraig Castle – 20 miles from the capital of the Highlands, Inverness, is Kincraig Castle. Originally built in 1800, the castle has fabulous original features.
- Dornoch Castle Hotel – in the pretty town of Dornoch with its lovely beach, Dornoch Castle hotel is 500 years old.
- Stonefield Castle – an example of Scottish Baronial Architecture, Stonefield Castle at Tarbet at Loch Fyne was built in 1837 and has now been fully restored to a luxury castle hotel.
- Glengorm Castle, Isle of Mull – head to the bustling town of Tobermory on the Isle of Mull to stay in this exceptional castle hotel in Scotland.
- Barcaldine Castle – stay in a luxury bed & breakfast in the historic ‘Black Castle’ is set on the peaceful shores of Loch Creran on the West Coast of Scotland, near Oban.
Love, from Scotland x
I’m Kate – a travel writer and photographer living in Scotland. Love, From Scotland is the Scotland travel guide that shows you where to stay and how to get outside in Scotland.